Perhaps you are thinking about giving meditation a go and looking for some guidance.
Or maybe you have been meditating for some time now and are just looking to branch out.
Either way, there is certainly no shortage of meditation apps on the market.
With so many choices it can be difficult to choose what may best suit your needs
I have personally tried several Meditation apps, and I am going to review my Top 4 favorites and their features so that you can find the perfect fit.
All the apps listed are Free to download and are rich with free content.
There are paid plans and upgrades within each of the apps, but that is of course optional.
If you still can’t make a choice after reading this article, why not download them all? Try them out. What have you got to lose? I have all 4 on my phone and rotate them, as each one has its own unique benefits and features.
When I first downloaded the calm app, I used it exclusively for the first month or 2. The meditations are incredibly soothing and with series such as 7 days of calm, 7 days of Gratitude, and 7 days of Happiness – all from Tamara Levitt- the Head of Mindfulness at Calm, it is totally beginner-friendly. The Calm App is extremely user-friendly and super easy to navigate.
- Sleep Stories: These are my FAVORITE! You haven’t lived until you have been read a bedtime story by Matthew McConaughey. Narrated sleep stories designed to lull you off to a peaceful night’s sleep. Categories include Fiction, Kids, Music, Nature, non-fiction, Naps, ASMR, & Soundscapes
- Meditations: a variety of soothing meditations including meditations for beginners, anxiety, sleep, stress, self-care, inner peace, focus, emotions, Relationships, Personal Growth, & Kids
- Music: Exclusive Album- Liminal Sleep – includes 9 beautifully composed tracks remixed for deep sleep and relaxation.
- Calm Kids: Lullabies, Meditations and Soundscapes for the little people in your life
- Calm Masterclass: a comprehensive collection of value packed masterclasses to help fuel your brain including: Rethinking Depression, The Power of Rest, Social Media & Screen addiction, Mindful Eating, Discovering happiness, Gratitude and more!
- Calm Body: Incorporate Mindful Movement and stretches into your day to stay fit and flexible
- Breathing exercises: with prompts and guidance to get you centered and focused quickly.
- Scenery: Choose your own journey with gorgeous scenery backdrops to enhance your experience.
I was rewarded with a headspace membership through my volunteerism with the Crisis Text line.
Of course, I was grateful for the gift, but at that time, I was already using the other 3 apps I discuss in this post. I wasn’t sure that a 4th mediation app was entirely necessary, but hey, who am I to complain?
Headspace quickly showed me that this 4th meditation app was EXACTLY what I needed 😊 Their unique animations are make them stand out in the crowd. The feel of the app is comforting and feels like an empathetic, warm hug each time I log in.
Headspace was the app that I didn’t know that I needed
- Meditation Basics & timers-classic meditations for both beginners and seasoned meditators. There is also a TON of education on the effects of meditation. And perhaps the coolest (definitely the most unique) feature of this app is the Live Meditation- so cool!
- Stress & Anxiety: courses, meditations and helpful animations aimed at helping you to help yourself relieve stress and anxiety.
- Falling Asleep & Waking up: Create optimal conditions for a restful night’s sleep with sleep casts, sleep music, soundscapes,
- Performance mindset: a mental fitness program inspired by NBA and WNBA athletes to help you reach any kind of goal in life.
- Personal Growth: Train your mind for a healthier, happier life with meditation courses, helpful animations, and guided meditations.
- Work & Productivity: Meditation courses relating to focus, productivity, creativity, and prioritization. Hel animations and guided meditations to spark creativity and focus attention.
Relax Melodies was the first sleep sound app that I downloaded, and since the time of downloading, it has grown quite a bit.
Relax Melodies served as an intro to meditation for me.
One of my favorite things to do is make my own “mixes” and check out mixes that others in the community have made.
Ease of use and a huge variety of short meditations makes this app perfect for beginners
- Sounds: 52 free sounds including ASMR, Animal, Baby, Brainwave, City, Music, Nature, Water and White noise
- Sleep moves: Relieve muscle tension and stress. Relax and unwind after long, hectic days. Center, calm, and comfort through self-care. Choose your own Sleep Move movement configuration to personalize your experience, choosing from either 1 (laying down), 2 (sitting & laying down), or 3 (standing, sitting, & laying down) steps
- Meditations: the variety of mediations is vast, there is most definitely something for everyone. Some meditation topics include stress, insomnia, productivity, ending procrastination, deep sleep, relaxation, kids, naps, dreams, heightening awareness and tinnitus
- Sound Journeys: Curated Soundscapes inspired by the natural world
- Bedtime stories: Fairy-tales, fables and short stories to lull you to sleep
- Healing Music: Binaural beat music promoting wellbeing through various frequencies including positive vibes, emotional release, anxiety healing, anger soothing and mood balance.
- Set Goals: Choose from the following goals- Sleep faster, Relax, Fight insomnia, help kids sleep, sleep deeply, master dreams, reduce stress and recharge for the ultimate customized experience.
Shine is pretty special in its own way.
Shine differs from the apps above in that it does not include sleep music and sounds, but this does not make this app in any way inferior to the rest.
What it lacks in sleep and nature sounds, it makes up for 10-fold with helping you along on your self-care and meditation journey.
Shine sends daily inspiration, advice and meditations to you inside of the app keeping the content fresh and exciting.
Daily affirmations delivered straight to your phone’s notifications daily delivery sure to inspire.
Shine will leave you smiling and inspired every. single. day.
- Articles: A host of articles with hours of reading and education to help guide you along your self care journey and create a more peaceful existence.
- Daily self-care: Treat yourself better with Shines personalized self-care program.
- Daily Inspiration: empowering messages delivered straight to your mobile device guided meditation led by people who get what you’re going through.
- Guided Meditations: Whether you’re trying to navigate anxiety, build confidence, or just get calm, Shines Compassion Coaches will guide you on your journey.
- Messages, reminders, and affirmations: delivered straight to your phone daily.